by Kristy Yates on Thursday, 4th of January 2018
The silly season is upon us for another year and for many, that means a well-deserved break. Whether you’re away for a few days or a few weeks, it’s important to take a few precautions to ensure your home is safe while you’re away. Here are our top five tips.
- Make sure it looks like someone is home. Have a neighbour or a friend put your garbage bins out, but also bring them in, and empty your letterbox. Another good option to consider is using a timer to have a few lights turn on at random times throughout your holiday.
- Cancel any deliveries! Do you get a newspaper delivered? Pause it while you’re away – a pile of old newspapers is a sure sign that no one is home! If you’ve taken advantage of the online Boxing Day sales, think about getting that trusty neighbour to pick up your packages daily, or get them delivered to a PO Box.
- Don’t post about your holiday on social media. This might be tough for some, but if you live alone, you’re advertising the fact that your house is empty. Save posting your happy snaps until you’re back home.
- Lock up! We all double check that we’ve locked our front door when we leave, but what about other ways to get into your property? Make sure every window is not only closed, but locked as well – including second storey windows. Don’t forget to close your garage as well as any external entry door into it. If you have a front gate, don’t just close it, but look at securing it with a lock if you don’t already.
- Install motion sensors. If someone is trying to break into your house, sometimes just having a light turn on is enough to scare them away. This is a simple one to keep your home safe all year round. Investing in a reliable home security system is also another good option.
The holidays are a wonderful time, but it’s wise to take a few simple precautions to make sure they stay that way!